Here you can find answers to the most common questions I am asked. There are three sections; general, shipping, and custom orders. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me and I would love to help you.
What kind of clay do you use?
- I use Premo Sculpey polymer clay
What kind of paint do you use?
- I don’t usually paint my pieces. The details you see are made with layers of colored clay, and I mix many of the shades myself. When I do need to add painted details, I use Liquitex Basics acrylic paint.
How do you seal your pieces?
- When I add surface treatments to the clay (such as pigment powders) I seal the piece with either Varathane polyurethane varnish or PYM 2 depending on the desired finish.
Where do you buy the tiny eyes?
- I make the eyes myself from clay and resin.
What are your prices?
- My prices depend on the size of the item and the level of detail. Here is a short list of the kinds of items I typically make, and the price range of each:
- Bird Charms: $10 - $15
- Standard Bird Figurines: $20 - $40
- Detailed Bird Figurines: $30 - $60
- Large Bird Figurines: $30 - $50
- Large Detailed Bird Figurines: $45 - $60
- Bird Pendants: $10 - $30
- 3D Pendants (hanging birds, and birds on objects): $20- $40
- Plain Salamander Charms: $10 - $15
- Detailed Salamanders: $20 - $30
*These are the prices of ready-made items. If you are interested in the price ranges for custom items, please continue to the "custom items" section.
How much is shipping?
- Shipping is free throughout the United States (unless you would like to add insurance to your package). International shipping is $8 to Canada and Mexico, and $11 everywhere else. The buyer is responsible for any import taxes and fees charged by their country.
When will I receive my package?
- Delivery in the US is usually within 3 to 5 days. International packages can take 1 to 2 weeks, but they usually arrive within 10 days.
Is my package insured?
- Free shipping does not come with insurance, but if you live in the US you can insure your package for $5. Insurance is currently unavailable for international purchases.
Can I rush my order?
- I do not accept rush orders on customs, since they are completed in the order I receive them. If you need your bird by a strict deadline, you can purchase expedited shipping for $20. International expedited shipping is $50.
How much are custom orders?
- Customs vary in price depending on the level of detail. I will add an up-to-date list of price estimates once my customs are available again.
How long will it take you to make my custom?
- Without any delays, the average custom takes me between 2 to 4 days to complete once I begin working on it. If you are fourth or more on my current custom list, it may take 1 to 2 weeks. You can always contact me to check my progress.
The custom I want to order is “out of stock.” What does that mean?
- I keep the stock of my custom items limited so I don’t overbook myself and take too long to complete each custom once it is paid. Typically my custom slots will be restocked once I complete my current list.
Can you make a life-sized bird?
- That depends on the size of the bird. Currently I can create birds with a maximum height of 3 inches and a maximum length of 4 inches. Small birds, such as finches, can be created to life-size within these dimensions. However, larger birds and birds with long tails (such as budgies and cockatiels) cannot. This is because my birds are cured in a small counter oven, and if parts of the bird are too close to the heating elements they will burn.
Do you make dogs/cats?
- No I do not. I used to accept customs of any animal, but the added time and materials it takes for me to make prototype designs for singular projects far exceeds the prices I charge. This policy may change in the future, but for right now I can recommend a list of other artists that also take commissions:
SculptedPups - specializes in dogs and cats, full of personality
Wandering Walden - specializes in snakes, lizards, and axlotls, both cute and realistic
Michi Mux - sculpts all kinds of animals in beautiful detail